Just Spotted has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.just-spotted.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Visiting Chicago, with Kids

Meet Heather, a mom of two, who is always on the go, & my good friend! An Orange Native, she is just finishing up a one year stint, living in the the windy city. She is always out & about with her kiddos, so I knew she was the perfect person to take on a tour of Chicago with kids.


Chicago is one of the most kid friendly big cities I have been to. I have been lucky enough to call Michigan Avenue or the “Magnificent Mile” home for the last 9 months, and I have loved every moment of it. There are so many fun things to do in Chicago I feel like I could easily write a book….Here are some of my absolute, favorite things to do in Chicago, with kids, in no particular order:

* Millennium Park: I just love this park and the tourist’s fascination with the “bean”…the funny thing is, whenever I take anyone to the bean, the whole way there they make fun of me. But, as soon as we are there, they are just as fascinated with it, as everyone else. It is really fun to take reflection pictures in it. If you are at the park during the summer bring the kids swimsuits or a change of clothes - there is a fun fountain to play in. And every evening they have free concerts at the amphitheatre… it really is fun to sit on the grass have a picnic dinner and listen to some music.
* The Art Institute: This is one of our favorite places. Located just south of Millennium Park, you can look at some amazing pieces of art. To keep my kids entertained we make up stories about the works of art. They have just recently opened the new Modern Wing there, and they have free art projects every Saturday morning at 10 a.m. for the kids. My kids LOVE this. Also, in the basement of the museum there is a Kraft Education Center for the kids where they can touch art, make art, and read tons of books. After you are done here you must stop by Sugar Bliss. This is honestly the one reason I work out every day! My personal favorites are: Red Velvet, Chocolate Peppermint, and really all of them are delicious. My kids’ favorite is the icing shots.
* Children’s Museum: This is my sons favorite place to be, and to tell you the truth I love it too. You can seriously play in here for hours. Located on Navy Pier, makes it convenient for a fun filled day! We spend a lot of time at Navy Pier where there is food, shopping, and lots of entertainment.
* Lincoln Park Zoo: An amazing zoo…it’s free too! I love this zoo. We spend many days walking around looking at all the animals. There is a little farm there as well, where you can get up close to a milking cows, and if you time it right, there is even a demonstration. This zoo is a must.
* Oz Park: After the zoo you should stop by Oz Park, one of the best parks in Chicago. I love those warm summer days playing on the playground. It is an amazing park. After your kids have played you should stop by Minnie’s. We have fallen in love with this little restaurant. Everything you order is “Minnie,” and you must try the original mini freeze.
* There are many other noteworthy museums…such as: The Museum of Science and Industry, the Aquarium, and The Field Museum each one so amazing…we really enjoy all the museums of the city.

Each day in Chicago is a fun adventure…we love walking around the city noticing all the different buildings. Be sure to show your kids the Tribune Tower where they have pieces of other famous buildings - they even have steel from the Twin Towers! & Of coures, the most important part in any city is to enjoy yourself.
_______________________________________________________________

Thanks Heather! I'm ready to pack my bags, grab the kids & head to Chicago. Sounds like a perfect getaway! Sounds like there is so much to do, see & eat - my kind of city!

xoxo, K

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails